Wednesday, December 13, 2006




Duran Duran - Live At The Hamersmith Odeon November 16. 1982



Oh boy, how I did hate Duran Duran back in those days. I was a hip-hop kid as most of my readers and friends here know. You could not get further from hip-hop and in 1982 than these young lads. It took a few years for me to be able to admit that they had more substance than style but it was only a matter of time. They were all very solid musicians and the songwriting was catchy and superb. Although I told no one at the time, I kind of liked the early singles - it was just something I had to keep to myself for fear of being clowned. Looking back on their career now it is full of great songs and performances and I applaud them. (Sound of DaddyRich clapping). This is an earlier show from the Rio tour and surprisingly the sound os top notch as well as the performance. So, put on some eye shadow and leg warmers and start doing that dance.


01. Intro.
02. (Waiting for the) Nightboat
03. New Religion
04. Save a prayer
05. Planet Earth
06. Friends of mine
07. Careless Memories
08. Rio
09. Hungry like the wolf
10. Make me smile (Come up and see me)
11. Girls on film
12. Outro

links are somewhere around here....

13 comments:

Daddy Rich said...

Part 1 -

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y3o53

Part 2 -

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ww4so

Anonymous said...

Hey Rich,

I applaud you dude. It takes a *real* man to admit that they actually like Duran Duran. I've been a big fan of DD since 1983. I already have this boot, but it's great to see it posted for others to check out. The Cockney Rebel cover of "Make Me Smile" is well worth the download alone.

Thanks man! Love the blog! Keep it up bro...

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Don't mean to sound unappreciative, but it appears that the link to Part 1 isn't working.

Daddy Rich said...

I will double-check the link tonight and see what's up.
D.R.

Daddy Rich said...

Here's the new link to part 1

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yz4xdk

Anonymous said...

Hey man,

I was kinda riding the wave of their popularity during the early 80's. I think it was the strange music videos that drew my attention. The videos always seemed to have a surreal quality that never really made sense in context with the song lyrics.

Anyways, I turned my back on them during the hair-metal days, but have grown to appreciate them ever more now than ever before. So much so, that I have spent a lot of money accumulating all their singles on Ebay.

Thanks from Los Angeles!

Anonymous said...

I saw the Durans recently -- they just toured here in the north eastern US. Fantastic show! I'd seen them many times over the years and they've still got it.

D.R., you have fantastic taste in music!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! This is great ! Duran rocks, and you too !!!

P

Anonymous said...

Dude, this seriously rocks. Come Up And See Me was the B-side to The Reflex 12" extended re-mix (on UK import and picture disk), and it has been a favorite of mine for a while. Friends Of Mine is was my favorite DD song before New Moon On Monday came around a couple of years later. Why am I telling you all this? Because my name is Matt, and I LIKE DURAN DURAN!!!

Daddy Rich said...

I am glad I am not the only one to admit that they were & are a great band. I may even attempt to see their show next time around. I am alsi greatly aprreciative that so many folks liked the post.
D.R.

uccio said...

Great job DaddyRich

Anonymous said...

really curious to hear this recording..

HaLo said...

i will admit i love the early duran stuff and this is a great listen..thanks :)