Wednesday, December 13, 2006




David Bowie - Images 1966-1967


A big thanks to UncleBill for sharing his vinyl of this with the world. I had never even heard of this one until last week. Early Bowie is always a great addition to anyone's collection and I am sure you'd agree. It is an amazing treat to hear the gestation of the legend as he hits and misses on a few of these, whilst always remaining Bowie. I have had a good portion of these tracks for years on various bootlegs and can vouch that many of these versions are as clean as are available anywhere. I believe some of these were also on the Deram Anthologies (hey! maybe I should up those?) and other more widely available boots. But nothing compares to the joy/horror of hearing 'The Laughing Gnome' and wondering to yourself "What drugs was this guy on and where do I get some?". As ever, I am glad to share my Bowie rarities with you good folks and, rest assured, many more to come.

Ripped from vinyl @ 320 (Thanks again, UncleBill)

A1 Rubber Band 2:15
A2 Maid of Bond Street 1:44
A3 Sell Me a Coat 3:00
A4 Love You Till Tuesday 3:10
A5 There Is a Happy Land 3:11

B1 The Laughing Gnome 3:03
B2 The Gospel According to Tony Day 2:50
B3 Did You Ever Have a Dream 2:08
B4 Uncle Arthur 2:07
B5 We Are Hungry Men 2:58
B6 When I Live My Dream 3:25

C1 Join the Gang 2:16
C2 Little Bombardier 3:24
C3 Come and Buy Me Toys 2:07
C4 Silly Boy Blue 3:51
C5 She's Got Medals 2:26

D1 Please Mr. Gravedigger 2:34
D2 The London Boys 3:18
D3 Karma Man 3:03
D4 Let Me Sleep Beside You 3:24
D5 In the Heat of the Morning


links in comments

7 comments:

Daddy Rich said...

Part 1 -

http://preview.tinyurl.com/wmzuz

Part 2 -

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yxzoqj

Anonymous said...

Jeez Man, you´re unbelievable; thanx from the bottom ...

Anonymous said...

You never fail to amaze me with the deliciousness of your posts. Thanks a million!

Anonymous said...

Excellent addition here...I'm not really that familiar with early Bowie, so this is an excellent post....Thank You!!

Dose

Anonymous said...

Hi!! The last time I heard "The laughing gnome", I was 20 years old,and a few years ago,I found at my warehouse my old spanish original 7" copy.It was a b-side. A-side was "Rubber band" and... man,songs like that grow old with you!!The Decca sessions are a bunch of nice songs,maybe some of Bowie masterpieces are from that era!!
A million thanks for let us discover or remember that fantastis songs!!
aH!!! Is this really a vinyl rip?? IT SOUND FANTASTIC!!!!
HAMMERHEAD

Anonymous said...

People are quick to use "The Laughing Gnome" as an excuse to reject this period of Bowie's career but the truth is most of it is actually quite good. He hadn't figured out how to synthesize his influences into something personal yet but his songcraft was surprisingly strong. It's great to get this all in one tidy package, so thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again friend ... you are the greatest !

P