Thursday, September 28, 2006



Peter Gabriel - Shaking The Tree: 16 Golden Greats




There is nothing I can say or play here to make anyone change their minds about Peter Gabriel. You either love his music and respect his humanity or you simply don't care for him. If you are the former - like myself than any opportunity to listen again is welcomed and if you're the latter I feel sorry for you. This man has made such a great volume of unbelievable songs - solo and with the original incarnation of Genesis that his greatness cannot easily be denied. As a child of the 70's and 80's I first became familiar with Peter from MTv playing his amazingly well done videos (can't remember the name of who did them) but the songs stuck with you as well as the visual images - which, if you learn about Peter's goal for media, was his point from the very beginning. Through this initial exposure I grew to appreciate his earlier solo catalogue and gradually became aware that Genesis was something more (once upon a time) than a bland pop-hit making machine fronted by Phil Collins. I still make time to listen to the live recording (captured so majestically on Archives Disc 1) of the performance from 1972 of 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' recorded right here in So Cal. It is painful to the mind to think what Genesis was and what they became but that is my personal bugaboo and I am a crotchety old man so don't get me started...

1. Solsbury Hill
2. I Don't Remember
3. Sledgehammer
4. Family Snapshot
5. Mercy Street
6. Shaking The Tree
7. Don't Give Up
8. San Jacinto
9. Here Comes The Flood (New Recording)
10. Red Rain
11. Games Without Frontiers
12. Shock The Monkey
13. I Have The Touch - (remix)
14. Big Time
15. Biko


link in comments

4 comments:

Daddy Rich said...

http://tinyurl.com/nbq7c

Anonymous said...

stank you berry much

Anonymous said...

"Get your stinkin' paws off me you damn dirty ape!"
- Peter Gabriel Uttered during a mission to Zaire, lobbying to get the country's name changed back to Rhodesia.

Thanks for the hits. My PG vinyls are worn. Welcome to the blogosphere. Cool site.

Anonymous said...

great post, daddy. slight typo in your description - the lamb show at the shrine was 1975, not 1972. I too get upset when i think of how mighty that band was in 1975 and then....poof!! .... in the blink of an eye, philly boy was singing songs about pidgeons in a wussy-ass voice and every song sounded the same..ugh ;)