Friday, September 15, 2006



Dead Kennedy's - Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death 1987

A most excellent post-mortem on America's most political punk rock band. I was too deep into hip-hop in the early to mid- 80's to pay too much attention to punk rock but it was easy to respect the Dead Kennedy's. They stood for things and Jello Biafra's lyrics were intelligent and controversial - much like my beloved rap music of the time (can't say much for either genre now...) This album of rarities, hits and b-sides, to me, represents the most cohesive collection of their material available on one disc. Tracks like 'California Uber Alles'. 'Holiday in Cambodia' and 'Too Drunk To Fuck' are certainly all well known and loved but what I really liked was "Pull My Strings' performed live in front of the very people who personify the lyrics - the Dead Kennedy's certainly never lacked balls or conviction. Everybody sing "...is my cock big enough/is my brain small enough/ for you to make me a star/ give me a toot/ I'll sell you my soul/ Pull my strings and I'll go far...". Truly the best of their genre.

Links are now in the comments - enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The link seems to be MIA....

Thanks for doing this

Turk said...

shame the link is down but so what GO BUY THIS ALBUM - i bought all DK's so i think i have a free pass on Jello's stuff (maybe not... its not convincing is it? :) )

Great Blog btw :) To see albums of artists I haven"t got, reminded how good an album is i have or to agree on a post (going back 5 or 6 album posts (from your m8 Erik) re 'Pop Punk' - i think, to quote 1 of said bands 'Where we're you for Punk part 2' (now who was it, The Mr T Experience i think... or Screeching Weasels? no, but fro the Lookout Records stable anyway....

peace

Turk
http://aural-virus.blogspot.com