Wednesday, January 24, 2007




Fred Wesley & The JB's - Damn Right I Am Somebody


Oh yes, DaddyRich is bringing Funky back. It's been a while since I have brought out the funkay goodness and this record has the players, the pedigree and the classic sound all in one. It was put quite nicely online and I will quote...

"An incredible album -- quite possibly our favorite record by the JBs, ever! The set starts with a wonderful conversational bit -- rapping and musing on the idea of "Damn Right, I Am Somebody" -- showing the group in a political and righteous mode for the first time ever. The grooves then kick in -- with the same heavy funk as on earlier records, but also a nice nod towards experimental production -- from strange fade ups and fade downs, to stark time and rhythm changes, and even bits of electronics used to create some very cool moments in the grooves! The whole thing's as dead funky as can be, and is stuffed with insane classics like "Blow Your Head", "Same Beat", "Damn Right I am Somebody", "I'm Payin' Taxes, What am I Buyin'", and a great cover of Marvin Gaye's "You Sure Love to Ball"!"


1. Damn Right I Am Somebody
2. Blow Your Head
3. I'm Payin' Taxes, What Am I Buyin' - Fred Wesley & the J.B.'s
4. Same Beat, Pt. 1 - Fred Wesley & the J.B.'s
5. If You Don't Get It the First Time, Back Up & Try It Again, Parrty
6. Make We What You Want Me to Be
7. Going to Get a Thrill
8. You Sure Love to Ball

link in comments

3 comments:

Daddy Rich said...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/36rpd6

Anonymous said...

awesome, thanks for the great share. This is probably the best of the JB's albums - just look at that track selection!

Anonymous said...

oh man, he made so much ... thanks for this upload ...